Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Persuasive Writing - To Ms. Krausz

I loved reading all of your persuasive letters last week!  Some of us wanted pets and others wanted food.  I gave all of you some feedback on your writing.  When trying to convince someone to do something, you have to think WHY they should give you what you want.  For example, your mom or dad may not give you a puppy if you think it's cute....WHY should they?  If you said that the puppy is cute and will make everyone happier, then they might think, ''OH, I want to be happier...so I'll get you that puppy.".  You have to think HOW it will benefit the person you are trying to persuade.  If ice cream is sweet, is that a good enough reason to give it to you?  If you say that ice cream is made of milk and can be healthy, then that is a better reason when trying to convince someone.

Here is an example of a good persuasive letter.  Your friend asked for books.  She said if she gets more books, then she will know more words!  That is a good reason because everybody should learn more words!  She had pretty good reasons...do you think her mom will get her the books?



Now, you are going to write a letter to Ms. Krausz today.  You are going to try to convince her to give everyone longer recesses next year!  What are some good reasons that you can give her??  Here is the planning sheet to help you.  After you plan, you can write your letter on a lined piece of paper. 




Learning Goal: We are writing a letter to convince Ms. Krausz to give us longer recesses next year.

Success Criteria:
- I have everything that a letter needs (e.g., date, greeting, body, signature)
- I have 3 good reasons to try to persuade Ms. Krausz.  WHY should she give you longer recesses?
- I have an introduction and a conclusion
- I have checked my work for capitals, periods, and correct spelling
- My sentences make sense


No comments:

Post a Comment